Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cooking Fail, Cooking WIN!

Mr10yt and I eat out A LOT. I really wanted to change that for at least the beginning of 2010. Forget that it's insanely pricey to eat out so much, it's just plain stupid considering we go to the same places for 75% of the time (Outback, CPK, BJ's, Hooters). We also drink more than half of the bill.

I am a horrible cook, but sometimes I like trying things.

Chicken marsala was a BIG FAT FAIL. PSA - I Can't Believe It's Not Butter + Soymilk =/= heavy cream. This dish was seriously disgusting.
IMG_1086

Tonight, however, I tried my hand at Asian Grilled Pork Chops (only not grilled but pan seared instead) and Asian Coleslaw - WIN!!! Mr10yt even got seconds!
IMG_1110
IMG_1109
IMG_1111

PLENTY of leftovers for my and the Mr's lunch tomorrow, and even more.

Super economical too, surprisingly. Pork chops were on sale, and the ingredients were things I already had for the most part!

Go me!

16 comments:

Jessica Love said...

Yay win!

Feminist Gold Digger said...

Eating out rocks.

[giggling]

dapotato said...

yay for the win. still laughing about the cream substitution.

delovelydetails said...

YAY! Looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Nice job!!!

Nanette said...

Great job!

[and totally snickering at FGD]

wan said...

it's been days, and i still can't get over your substitution FAIL. oh, man.

but yay for the successful meal!

Angie Eats Peace said...

Awesome job!

Liz said...

Your pork chops look amazing!

NorCalMrs said...

Yay win! Great job. I <3 FGD.

amber said...

I'm still gagging a bit at that substitution fail, but the second dinner looks full of WIN!! Nice work!

Tameka said...

Awesome job! That Asian slaw look delicious! I'm sorry about your marsala substitution fail, but what's the bread and salad thingy next to it? That looks delicious! :-)

Yahpee said...

Coleslaw huh? Never been a fan but I'm glad it was a hit! :)

ssinca said...

hey, that doesn't look half bad! nice job;)

HaveShoesWillTravel said...

You can totally do quickie easy meals at home for less time, less money, and way less fat content than eating at those restaurants. Things like cheese and crackers, paninis, or soups are so easy.

Dvlish said...

Hey there - if you have never been try out Peppinos...I like the one at Lake Forest and Rockfield in the IHOP shopping center. There is also a location at Marguerita and Vista Del Lago or back in Foothill Ranch near the theaters:)...Sundried Tomato in Laguna Beach was another favorite when I lived south. DH hated chains so we looked for other options!